Head – doctor, professor Oleg Cheremnykh
Staff: 14 person, among them 3 doctors, 9 PhD, 1 master.
The scientific activity of the SRI Space Plasma Department is aimed at studying physical phenomena in near space and research processes in space plasma, namely:
- Research and modeling of physical manifestations of solar activity: coronal mass ejections, plasma configurations, dynamic plasma jets, etc.;
- development of analytical and numerical models of the interaction of solar wind with geomagnetic field;
- investigation of collective processes (wave and turbulent processes, nonlinear structures, reconnection of magnetic field lines, etc.) in the ionosphere, solar and magnetospheric plasma;
- nvestigation of phenomena in ionospheric plasma caused by global processes in the atmosphere;
- studying the mechanisms of generation and evolution of heliomagnetic field;
- development of new methods of data processing from spacecraft and ground-based observations;
- studying of physical and chemical processes in microgravity.
A most important results:
- model of electromagnetic energy distribution channel in the “lithosphere-atmosphere-ionosphere-magnetosphere” system;
- theory of ultra-low frequency MHD perturbations in the magnetosphere;
- models of solar spicula and coronal mass ejection;
- development of the theory of acoustic gravity waves in the terrestrial ionosphere;
- models of MHD processes in the solar atmosphere;
- theory and model of convective processes in microgravity during crystallization of substances;
- model of charging microgranules process in space dust plasma.
- participation in the development and creation of cryogenic precise gravimeter with optical registration;
- participation in the preparation of space experiments “Ring”, “Coronas-Photon”, “Morfos”, “Vibro“;
- coordination of scientific experiments of Ukrainian scientists on board of the International Space Station in 1999-2004;
- development of data processing methods fof spacecraft measurements;
- development of the NASU scientific program of solar-terrestrial relations studies;
- organization and holding of Ukrainian Conference on Space Research (2000 – 2006);
- organization and holding of UK-Ukraine-Spain Meetings on Solar Physics and Space Science (2011, 2013, 2015, 2017).